April 27, still during Passover, I sent out the following message which pointed to a fundraising page I created for myself which is also here.
COME LAUGH WITH ME!
Laughter Yoga for Serious Fun and Health
with J-i-m Haber, Certified Laughter Yoga Leader
Terra’s Temple, 3051 Adeline St., Berkeley (@Ashby BART)
- Laughter yoga is real (look it up). It’s Easy! Exhilarating! Mirthful!
- Laughter for as little as 10 or 20 minutes affects the body and mind.
- Laughter is exercise and helps circulate residual air out of the lungs (plus other health benefits). There is some light stretching, but none of the usual yoga poses.
- Laughter can touch us tenderly and uproariously.
- Humor not required. Grumps thrive too!
- Even “Fake it ’til you make it” laughs count!
Sessions last between 60 and 75 minutes and are a combination of open laughter, some laughter exercises to help motivate the group, and a bit of explanation about the history of the practice and some of the medical benefits of laughing.
Ho! Ho! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Laughter Yoga was started in 1995 in India by Madan and Madhuri Kataria. A medical doctor and a yoga teacher, they realized that people benefit from laughter even without humor or comedy. A little stimulus can be fun and evocative though, so they and scores of “laughter leaders” have created an array of short and playful exercises to help us revel in the real and immediate benefits of laughter.
J-i-m Haber is a Certified Laughter Yoga Leader. He discovered conscious laughter at a workshop in early 2015, and now laughs daily. J-i-m’s background as a spiritual and political activist, meeting facilitator, mental health counselor and teacher has inspired him to share laughter’s positive effects to merge social connection, spiritual awakening and world care.